Tuesday, February 4, 2014

My Custom PBB Construction

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
Where to start with the details of the PBB? As I stated in the first post, I elected to make my PBB in two parts so that I could configure it to handle situations I knew I would encounter. I guess I should start with the basic structure of the bench.

I constructed the frame out of good old southern yellow pine. I bought 2x8s and milled it to get the sizes I needed. I chose 2x10s because they are made from larger trees and are a better grade than 2x4s and 2x6s. The thickness was a little under bit 1.5” after jointing, but I had a better surface. The corner posts were glued up to get 4x4s.

This is the frame of the 36”x72” module. The slats on the bottom support a piece of .75” plywood. The slats on the top only support a piece of .25” hardboard, which is a dust shield. I may eventually enclose the bottom of the modules, and I don’t want them filling with saw dust. There are four 5” heavy duty swivel casters. The frame of the 24”x72” module is constructed the same way.